« Home | Falling Far From the Tree » | Remembering the Bombing » | The Ludacris Dissent » | News From Iraq » | What is Happening to Me? » | A Semi-Lucid Defense of Rap Music » | War Criminals of the World » | Photo ID Throwdown » | The Great Chubby's Debate » | Baseball Roundtable »

Man on the Bench

I went to Kohl's department store on Saturday, and on my way I noticed an elderly man sitting on the bench outside the store. He was wearing enormous sunglasses, just sitting still, watching the world go by.

I froze and watched him. For a moment, I wondered what that guy must be thinking. Is he saying to himself, "I've lived a full life, raised a family, fought in a war, and now here I am - the old guy on the bench outside Kohl's?" Is he satisfied with the way his life turned out?

I immediately realized that there's a 100% chance that someday I'm the old guy on the bench outside Kohl's. And I wondered what I would be saying to myself while sitting on the bench. Would I be satisfied with my life up to that point? Would I be wondering if I did enough to change the world in any real positive way? Would I think I did enough to teach my kids right from wrong? Would I have any lingering regrets about the way I led my life? Or would I just be saying to myself, "God dammit, there's so much more I could have done, but now I'm just stuck here on this damn bench watching people shop at Kohl's?"

Then I bought some socks.