« Home | Chris Rock on the 2008 Elections » | Remembering 1/20/08 » | I Would Think This Is Obvious To Anyone, Even Head... » | "Here and Now" - the Turtleneck Edition » | The 2007 Cowboys Season in 8 Seconds » | Don't Call it a Comeback » | All the Disease, None of the Fun » | The Problem Here is... What? » | The Life and Times of Rick Majerus » | "Can We Just Start Over?" »

A Healthy Dose of Spite

It appears that the decision of Christopher Hitchens (my favorite contrarian) to quit smoking originated here in Madison, Wisconsin:

In an interview with the Financial Times published last week, Hitchens casually announced he'd quit smoking: "I got up yesterday morning in Madison, Wisconsin, and I just threw my pack away," he said. New leaf for the new year? Turns out the interview took place last fall; he actually kicked the habit in October and has been smoke-free for three months.


How? "Fear," he told us. "I had smoked enough in my life."


Actually, we find out from his wife what his real reason was:

Why? "He wants to live," said his wife, Carol Blue. "Live to see his political enemies defeated."


THAT I can appreciate.