« Home | Ear, Nose, and Throat » | Local Boy Done Good; Other Local Boy Jealous With ... » | U.S. Secretary of State Deploys Kiss Army to Iraq » | Brothas Keepin' it Real » | Damn You, Gas Prices » | Feminist Bookstore » | Watch At Your Own Peril » | What Being on TV is Like » | Beyond the Pale » | Pork and Beans »

Me, Environmentalist

So I was in the public library today. (Yes, they still allow me to check books out there, even though this column put me on the Dewey Decimal Mafia hit list.) As I approached the checkout desk (wearing a disguise*), I noticed a sign that said the library was "going green" by not printing out receipts if the patron requests it. So I proudly announced my environmentalism by declaring that I didn't want a receipt. Coincidentally, the book I was checking out was "The Story of My Boyhood and Youth" by John Muir, which meant the universe was briefly completely in order.

I have long thought that receipts are the great environmental issue of our era. I was at Panera the other day getting a single sandwich, and they printed out three receipts, two of which I got to keep. Go buy a CD at Best Buy (as if anyone does that anymore). Do I really need a three foot long receipt? And no, I don't want to go to your damn website and fill out your damn online questionnaire and get a dollar off my next purchase. Basically, I just want something that proves that I bought the CD there, and lets me return it for store credit after I burn it to my hard drive. Can I get an Amen?

Hopefully, my anti-receipt position has bought me enough carbon credits to continue swearing at the people who bike to work in front of me. Next up, I will take on the excessive use of bagging small items.

*My disguise was frowning excessively.